Friday, February 22, 2008

Olivia Newton-John


the title of this post might scare you, but it makes me want to type for hours.

let me explain....life sucks. sometimes the only thing that can remedy this (for me at least) is some music. blasting sweet tunage in the car is therapy i can afford and therapy that works.

this morning, tired, upset and with serious stress knots in my shoulders i was driving to work and like i do every morning i hooked up my ipod on shuffle.

lucious jackson's "nervous breakthrough" was a good start. that song just makes me want to roller skate. and then came Olivia. not just any Olivia. not Grease-era Olivia.....dirty Olivia. After she earned her Sandra Dee rep, after her Oscar nomination and performance of "Hopelessly Devoted To You, after Xanadu.

I'm talking about Physical. The 1981 album that my parents had and I remember singing to. Just like the Thriller, I remember unfolding the record to reveal a picture like it were a magazine spread. She was all in white workout gear, sassy headband included. I had to have a headband like that too. Of course back then I had no clue that the title track was basically lil' innocent Olivia turning into super-skankish Olivia. Sort of like when people first heard Genie in a Bottle except that Aguilera never had an Oscar nomination and was always sort of slutty.

Let's sample some lyrics:

There's nothing left to talk about
Unless it's horizontally

whoa dude! she means business!

Physical, despite it's sexytime theme was a huge hit. People were total prudes back then! Don't get me started on the video. It's pure magic. Just watch it.
I'm sure you'll understand my point of view
We know each other mentally
You gotta know that you're bringin' out
The animal in me



No comments: