Friday, January 4, 2008

Be Kind rewind. I saw it.

In all honesty, if this movie consisted of the cast sitting around playing jacks I would've enjoyed it. It's Michel Gondry. He could turn a game of jacks into something beautiful and interesting. I love and appreciate his brain to no end and no matter what he creates (even Human Nature).
I recognize that his stuff isn't for everyone. He's childlike and silly at times and some people can't handle that. Unfortunately I was surrounded by press who where there because they had to be, not because they wanted to be. It's amazing how much your audience affects the movie experience. When I went to see The Science of Sleep the night it opened in '06 I waited in line (a long line, for a long time) with 2 friends and we were surrounded by other Gondry-worshipping fans. People were excited and the mood in the room was so good~even mine, despite the fact that we weren't in stadium seats. Shit. Back to the movie. No. Not back to the movie. I don't want to "review" it. Just go see it on February 22 when it opens if you like Michel, if you like JB, if you like visual stimulation, and if you like movies.
p.s. there are some scenes in the movie that TOTALLY remind me of one of my absolute favorite music videos Gondry directed in 1994. Lucas With the Lid Off
The whole video was filmed with a steadycam, in one continuous shot. BRILLIANT!
No Shit: I remember the first time I saw it (remember when MTV showed music videos?), I was like, blown away and in love.


No comments: