Tuesday, January 20, 2009

PFT!


Gothamist has an interview with my favorite person alive that stands behind a mic and says things for the sole purpose of making me laugh out loud.
Audience laugh maker?

Stage stander?

Microphone joke-teller?

Paul F. Tompkins

We interviewed Paul F. Tompkins a couple of years ago while he was just stopping by town to tape a stand-up special. Since then, a lot has changed. He now lives in New York, is the sole host of VH1's Best Week Ever and he's just gotten engaged. Next Tuesday he'll be participating in a BWE-themed show at 92YTribeca. Recently we talked to him about the lack of respect his show sometimes gets, what it takes to make the leap into more vulnerable material as a stand-up and how his career priorities changed upon falling in love.


How's the move to New York been?

It’s been quite an adjustment. I grew up in Philadelphia, but I’ve been in Los Angeles for the past fourteen years. So this is really quite a head trip for me. Adjusting to a smaller living space and the weather and being surrounded by people all the time…I’m getting used to it now. It’s been a little while. But it’s not bad.


It was pretty abrupt move, correct?

From when I was told I got the job to the plane landing, it was five weeks. Me and my fiancée packed up all our stuff found an apartment and shipped it all in just five weeks. And I really have to hand it to her. She made all that happen in such a short amount of time. It was really immersion therapy.


What part of town are you guys living in?

We’re way down near Battery Park, which is not bad. It’s nice and quiet, which is the upside. And then the downside is it’s really quiet. It’s like a set. If Universal Studios had a New York ride, it would be like that after hours.


How did you guys end up there?

I don't know many folks who live in that neck of the woods. No, not many people. Not many of the cool kids live down there. We had been to New York for a friend’s birthday party that was held down there and we stayed for the weekend. And we really liked it. So we walked around and kind of looked down there. It’s also convenient to my work and I wanted to live somewhere that was not right across the street from work, but I could walk to work.

click here for the rest...

No comments: