Tuesday, July 8, 2008

shuffle

carrie brownstein is one of those peeps i've mentioned a lot, like judd or seth. you know why? because of her awesomeness.

this is a post from her Monitor Mix blog on NPR about keeping your ipod on shuffle. we share an opinion on the subject.
i got my new car on Memorial Day and have had it on shuffle from then up until july 6th. i made it through almost all 2,700 songs, but i prolly seriously only listened to half that in full.
she's so right when she says:

The shuffle mode is an endless radio station that only plays your music. Sounds perfect, so why is it not?
It's like if there were a robot randomly selecting what we wear each day. Sure, it's our own closet and our own clothing, but we don't want to wear sweaters on 80-degree days, or to put on some magenta silk top that only looked good in the dressing room. With music, it boils down to mood and context, as well.
In the shuffle mode, I spend most of my time hitting fast forward until I find a song I feel like listening to; I can't help but try to carve out a story. I love contrast and the blending of genres, so it's not about disparity. It is, however, about intention. What iPod shuffle lacks is one of the best parts of a great mix -- album sequence, or a justification for why one song follows another.

Well said Brownstein, well said.

No comments: