Saturday, December 1, 2007

Aimee Mann's 2nd Annual Christmas Show

Last night I went to Aimee Mann's 2nd Annual Christmas Show at the El Rey. Rad is an understatement.
There was a short film shown in three parts with appearances by my future husband John Krasinski, Bob Odenkirk, Fred Armisen, Ben Stiller, and Will Ferrell.
In it, Aimee and the greatest comedian alive Paul F. Tompkins are talking about who she can get to perform at her show. She goes to all the aforementioned people asking them to be her guests and they are all rude and weird a la Ben Stiller as Ben Stiller in the episode of Extras where he is a huge jerk. The end of the film brings her to PFT's door asking him to do the show with her. My description can't possibly do the film any justice. Sorry. The show also included awesome comedian Morgan Murphy as the Hanukkah Fairy, Jackson Browne, Amos Lee, Nellie McKay and Grant Lee Phillips. All fantastic of course....But, Dear Reader, seeing PFT and Aimee sing a duet of "Baby It's Cold Outside" was quite possibly one of the greatest stage moments I've witnessed. Her and Grant doing "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" was excellent too. Even though I've heard it a million times "Save Me" will never get old. After the song was over someone yelled out "You should've won the Oscar!!" Amen, Brother. Poor Aimee said she had a cold and was high on Dayquil but I couldn't hear it in her singing voice at all.
I was a little sad her husband didn't show up....Mary Anne and I wanted to hear them sing "Two of Us" from the I am Sam soundtrack. For the record, I like their version of it better than the Beatles version. Yeah I said it.
Can't wait for the show next year.
(Youtube has clips from the show last year)

No comments: